Monday, September 11, 2006

Where where you five years ago today?

I was on my honeymoon.

We were in Oahu Hawaii. We had gone to Pearl Harbor the day before. Nicole woke up with a bad headache and asked me to get her some food before she got out of bed. I left the hotel room in my PJs and headed down toward the lobby. I was still half asleep myself. The poeple in the elevator were wispering about buildings collapsing. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying and asked them.

One lady said, "The World Trade Center building are gone." I couldn't comprehend what she was saying. When I got to the lobby, it was chaos. People running around everywhere. There were a bunch of TVs on carts lined up in the lobby with the news on. I stood there in disbelief for maybe five or ten minutes watching the reports, then rushed back to the room to tell Nicole. I forgot to get here the food . . .

The worst part was we had already booked tickets the the Polynesian Culteral Center for that day and had to go (or loose the $$). They had NO TVs inside the PCC so I was completely cut off from the news the entire day. The only evidence something was wrong was their flags flying at half staff. It made it hard to enjoy the park, but we had a good enough time.

This was near the end of our trip, and after this happened, we wanted to come home. Suddenly we went from being away in a tropical paradise, to being trapped on a rock. We were meeting people left and right who had been scheduled to be on a plane that day. They were stranded in paradise, and most were not having fun.

We ended up flying home on one of the first flights after air traffic resumed. The people that were in the plane with us were the people that were in the air on 9/11 and turned around. When we landed in SF, everyone clapped and cheered, it was an amazing experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home