Monday, October 02, 2006

We Went To Hetch Hetchy Today

The three of us at the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir

We had an adventurous day today. First thing in the morning, we ran out of propane. After getting more propane and making breakfast, we went to town and gassed up the truck. Town around here consists of about five buildings and a gas station. The gas station owners had flyers for the different types of wood they sell for house heating. With the rain this week everyone is talking about the impending snow fall. It's a whole different way of life out here. I find myself at the same time in awe of people who live this way, and feeling a little pity for them at the same time. I wonder if I have what it takes to survive in this part of America . . . . Nah, I think I like my suburban living just fine.

After leaving town, we went to the Hetch Hetchy area of Yosemite. The road is long and winding. Nicole drove again today so I got to look around. The views along the way are incredible. Huge valleys, rolling meadows, ancient looking farms, this area has it all. After we got to the dam, we walked across the dam and through a long tunnel that leads to the trails. Madison is fascinated with tunnels right now. Every time we are driving, she asks if we are going to go through any tunnels. After passing through the tunnel we stopped to take the above picture. I set up the tripod and used the time delay with a flash fill. It came out really nice. We walked along the trail for another half hour or so and along the way we saw several squirrels, birds, and a bear cub and her mom. They were up in a tree and we stopped to watch them for ten minutes or so. After they climbed down and started to walk away, I snapped this picture (click on it for a better view):

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home